Thursday, March 8, 2012

Waiting!!!

This is another piece I wrote for my English class, but it is closely tied to Peru! I just can't wait!


                           Waiting, Waiting, Waiting

    Waiting. Waiting, waiting waiting. Currently I’ve been doing a lot of waiting. I sit here and wait for an idea to come to me about waiting. I am hoping that if I just keep blabbering on like this I will find something to write about. So when were some times in my life that I have waited? Well, I really think that you’re always waiting for something. Theres the whole idea of looking for the destination but not taking in the journey. I feel like people do that a lot. They are so excited about what they will have for dinner they spend all afternoon waiting for it, or they spend all week waiting for the weekend. I guess the big thing I am waiting for right now is my trip to Peru. Yes, maybe I should be spending a little more time in the moment, but how can I with Peru looming over my head.
    I am waiting, waiting, waiting, to get on the plane and head over 4,000 miles to Peru for 10 days. My day is consumed with thoughts about what I need to pack, if I’ll be in shape enough for the trip, or how I am going to deal with the altitude. Waiting for this trip is stressful! Stressful because I have to keep up with my school work, and how am I supposed to be focused on school work when everything going on in my head is revolved around a foreign country? I will sit down to write a paper, automatically open my browser, and open up a Google search of Machu Picchu and begin brainstorming about being there. I can see myself in in the pictures, smiling, ecstatic and taking every moment in.
    So what should I be doing right now, besides mindlessly doing homework and going about daily routines until I can get back to day dreaming? Maybe I should just be taking in the moment. Enjoying the beautiful day with the birds chirping and the smell of spring. Each puddle on the sidewalk becomes an obstacle in between me and Peru. To occupy my mind, I eat, or work out, to help get my body in shape for what I’m about to do. But my mind is still on over drive. There are so many thoughts, flying through the fibers in my brain, and I can’t seem to sort it all out. Waiting does that. The wait has triggered the procrastination skills that I have developed all too well over the years, hoping that things will move faster if I am not focusing on the tasks at hand. With only a week left, maybe I will try to take in the small things and appreciate the moment. Admire the quiet of my dorm and get ahead on work before I head off out of the country. Its wishful thinking, but waiting seems to be a force I haven’t yet figured out how to control. I think I’ll go look at more pictures of the Andes.

No comments:

Post a Comment